Thursday, May 23, 2013

Final Assembly and Finishing



Ready for the End – of the Roll-Around Counter Top That Is!



I was unhappy with the way the end pieces lined up when I used the dowel pins, so I decided to go without any mechanical support, i.e. just the glue. I figure if it comes loose, I can always use the brad nailer when I reattach
The piece was just slightly too long for my pressure clamps, so I broke out the long pieces of pipe and shifted the pipe clamp hardware to them.  Vertical alignment was achieved using cheek blocks with a C-clamp. Again, I used plastic grocery bags as a release sheet between the blocks and the work. I did one end at a time - this is the final layup.


Once the work was completely set up, I used a block plane to even out the slight differences in the side and end band boards. (I found the plane in a flea market in Fla for $5 and my son Dave sharpened it to the point you can almost shave with it!)


Then I sanded bottom first (with the piece resting on an old throw rug) using 80 grit in the Black & Decker commercial grade orbital sander. I used multiple passes up and down while rocking the sander side-to-side  to “break” the sharp edge.
Sanded sides of band board, then turned the piece over and sanded the top. 
Changed sanding paper frequently - used 4 pieces of 80 grit and 2 pieces 120  grit.
Once it was all smooth, finish sanded with 120 grit.

Brushed dust off and then went over piece with a tack cloth.


Final piece ready for first coat of varnish – which I applied. After it sets up, I’ll sand again with 320 grit and apply the second coat of varnish. (I took a photo but it looks weird since some of the varnish has already started to dry leaving an uneven finish appearance.)

Next: Final coats of varnish and installation!

No comments:

Post a Comment