Saturday, June 1, 2013

Phase II – The Island Structure



Phase II – the island structure (sounds like something from an aircraft carrier!)

We spent a few minutes with some short pieces of flooring to check out our layout. Using the actual wood was valuable since sketches and measurements can go awry, but a block of wood is pretty definitive!

We sat the Advantech subfloor up on the sawhorses and marked the cooktop cutout using a Sharpie marker.

Using the same techniques detailed in my earlier blog, I prepared the first course using the table saw to strip the tongue and the planer/jointer to produce a flat, smooth edge. The first course is always a solid piece if at all possible! 
Using the Ryobi power miter box, I cut the ends for a perfect fit.




After extensive checks and counter-checks, I was satisfied the piece was as properly aligned as my “finger feeler-gauges” could achieve and I clamped the piece using a 2X4 top board.


Once the first course glue set overnight, I was ready for the second course.


I made an access cut along the edge of the cook top cutout but left plenty of “meat” to allow a strong piece. The cutout simply allows clamps to be applied a little closer. 

Here’s the second course glued and laid up. I selected a 2X4 that has a slight bow as a top clamp press board. I placed the peak of the bow in the center and as I clamped the ends, the bow helps keep the piece tight against the subfloor. The tongue & groove will keep the close edge contained. To make sure the far edge is intimately bonded with the subfloor, I used the same “spring clamp” I used with the rollaround – a piece of 2X4 loosely clamped at close end and more firmly clamped at far end. The result is additional down force on the far edge.
A pipe clamp keeps the join seam tight (the second course is comprised of two boards). Edge clamping brings the second course in intimate contact with the first.


Liberal use of release sheets (plastic grocery bags) will help insure I do not accidentally glue a pressure block to the maple flooring!


A couple of 12” deep throat C-clamps help reach the work more easily. They won’t hold the same clamping force as the normal C-clamps, but they are sufficient.

Long shot of final layup for second course.

Next - Additional courses will be done similarly and I will not update as I go unless I change some method or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment