Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Six Courses Commplete!

The island is coming along nicely!
After the first couple of courses, it was clear I would need additional deep throated C-clamps, so on Sunday, we stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up two more, giving a total of four. I can still use the 2X4 with standard 5" C-clamps in a pinch, but these will be well worth the $10/clamp they cost!
This three dimensional clamping is challenging!
I have developed a method that seems to work well:
1) align and clamp the length, squeezing toward the last full course until the glue oozes the entire length of the joint;
2) Clamp center joint using pipe clamp, same criterion - oozing glue;
3) Clamp vertically using dimensional press pieces and C-clamps at least six places (every 8-10 inches) until glue oozes from under board.
This morning, I laid up course #6 with a 22" and a 47" piece. The 22" pieces was straight and flat but the 47" piece had a little bow (about 1/8"). Fortunately, the bow was away from the 5th course (when center was tight, end stood out), so I used a 3/4" pipe clamp to secure inboard end and the n used another 3/4" pipe clamp to draw the end tight. I used the 1/2" long pipe clamp to then draw center joint tight, and used pieces of 2X4 to clamp vertically (the long 2X4 would not slip under the pipe clamps).
Tomorrow I will lay up last full course.
After that, I have decided to use a partial piece (the length of the cutout), ripping it on the table saw and end butting it with a parial piece to complete the course. Then, a series of 21" pieces (which I may try to lay up 2 or even 3 at a time.
Photos at that point! 
Thanks for following this blog!
Feel free to leave comments.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment